Wednesday 19 November 2014

The Artist Unleashed: FIVE TIPS TO NURTURE CREATIVITY by Janice Phelps Williams

Creativity abounds! Everywhere we look people are painting, writing, sewing, knitting, baking, and recording music from their homes. Still, there are parents who would like to encourage creativity, but they’re not sure how to go about it. Here are five tips to encourage creativity in your family.

1. NOURISH THE IMAGINATION

The creative home begins with parents who nourish the imaginations of their children. "Without the playing with fantasy no creative work has ever yet come to birth. The debt we owe to the play of imagination is incalculable." ~Carl Jung

2. SAY “YES!”

Say yes to your child whenever possible. Children who hear yes most of the time develop ...

Sorry for the interruption, but The Artist Unleashed posts have moved to a new domain. Please click HERE to read the rest of this post and for the opportunity to comment.

5 comments:

  1. That's a cool story about Kaylin.
    Kids do tend to hear 'no' a lot, so a few yeses would go a long way. My parents were very encouraging in anything I wanted to try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful article. We need more creatives!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I cannot think of anything else that more grows the young imagination than books and library sponsored events." Yes!
    Great article!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great comments! I could write on and on about this topic. I've learned so much about creativity from my kids, more, I think, than they learned from me.

    Jessica, you are one of the most creative people I know. Thank you for inspiring all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe it's a two way street. I encourage mine to explore and imagine what is possible and they (I have two) tell me the same thing. When my son was younger he didn't like reading so encouraged him to read comics. Now he loves reading, but he also draws all the time. Not a bad outcome. My daughter had a hard time expressing herself so I bought her a cheap camera... now that was a worth watching as it unfolded. Thanks for the words. It's good to remember we have to nurture.

    ReplyDelete